We are looking for an experienced Lead Programmer to join our team on our exciting AAA project. You’ll work with other programmers, designers, artists, animators, and producers to build out game systems and features. The successful candidate is someone who is interested in competitive games especially first-person shooters and has experience of leading teams to deliver projects on tight deadlines.
Our programmers tend to be multi-disciplinary developers who push the boundaries to deliver that goal. They create game systems, user interfaces, AI, networked gameplay, gameplay optimisations, audio systems, input systems and design tools.
At Bulkhead we practice code review, continuous integration, and agile methodologies.
• Manage the programming team effectively to meet short, medium and long term goals of the project.
• Scope, estimate and evaluate tasks for the programming team
• Breakdown large features into achievable tasks for other programmers
• Work closely with the Tech Director as well as other departments to deliver their vision of the game
• Mentor programmers at all levels and be the ‘glue’ bringing the team together to share knowledge and processes
• Develop solid and meaningful relationships in order to understand the needs, goals and skillsets of everyone on the team.
• Tackle large problems and features
• Take ownership of systems
• Iterate on existing features and mechanics
• Solve problems in a creative but efficient way
• Write extensible, stable, efficient code
// REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• 5+ years of industry experience
• Experience programming multiplayer games in UE4
• Shipped at least one title using UE4 and/or on consoles
• Must understand the importance of efficient networking in a multiplayer game
• Have a strong grasp of C++, software design, programming and debugging
• A desire to craft multiplayer games
• A familiarity with multiplayer game programming
• Ability to communicate with a multidisciplinary team
• A strong desire to overcome difficult hurdles
• A strong desire to learn new skills
• A methodical mind and the ability to think outside the box
• A strong work ethic with a willingness to learn and constantly improve
• Strong problem-solving skills
• Strong communicator with the ability to articulate systems and ideas Effectively
// DESIRABLE SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Shipped a multiplayer game
• Experience with UE5
• Experience writing game code with tight performance constraints
• Experience writing optimised code in UE4
• An understanding of game design
• Have the ability to drive and contribute to all aspects of a game
• Have a strong grasp of 3D maths for games
• Have an understanding of the complexities and unique requirements of a competitive, multiplayer, first person shooter